Sunday, October 14, 2012

An open letter to my son - Part 1

Good morning Bennett.

This last year I've been an active father but an absentee blogger.  I originally created this blog for a few reasons:
1) To get me focused on being a father when I was overwhelmed with starting the business
2) To serve as a bit of a baby book.  As you age you may occasionally use this blog to "take a walk down memory lane."
3) To allow me to teach you lessons now that will mean much more to you later in your life.

I woke up this morning realizing that as of today I have lived 38 years.  I have experienced 13,879 of these mornings (I was going to say that I've woken up 13,879 times . . . but there are some studying or partying all-nighters in college that throw off the "wake-up" math).

With tomorrow being my birthday, I woke up reflective.  What have I accomplished in these 38 years?  What am I proud of?  What am I not so proud of?  What should I commit to accomplishing in the next 38 years?

Then, I heard you rustling downstairs . . . ready to wake up yourself (for your 839th morning).  My thoughts immediately turned to you.  From all I've seen and done these past 13,878 days, you are what I am MOST proud of.

I want to spend the next 38 days writing this letter to you.  It will contain 38 lessons that have taken me all of 38 years to learn.  Understanding and valuing these lessons certainly does not mean I've mastered them . . . far from it.  Oftentimes mastery is a never ending quest.  Nonetheless, I'd like to get these thoughts down here so that they are ready for you when you are ready for them.  As the Buddhists say, "When the student is ready, the teacher will appear."

No comments:

Post a Comment