Sunday, October 14, 2012

An open letter to my son - Part 2

I will tell you things in your life that will seem insignificant and maybe even idiotic.  Some of these same lessons you may recall years later and they will resonate with you as transformational . . . and perhaps genius.  

I remember standing in the kitchen when I was waist-high to my father.  I asked him, "Dad, what should I be when I grow up?"  He quickly replied, "I don't care if you are the trash man, just be the best trash man you can be."  

My internal response as a 4 year old was, "What is he talking about? I'm not going to be the local trash man!"

My interpretation now is "Be the best you you can be. Do your best work each and every day." That's transformational. That is genius.


 When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.  -Mark Twain

No comments:

Post a Comment