Saturday, October 20, 2012

An open letter to my son - Part 9

Five years ago this week, your mom and I moved back to the United States after living in Europe for four years.  It was 2003 and I was in the Army when I received orders to serve in Germany.  The thought of moving from the U.S. kept me up many a night.  I did not want to go.  I didn’t care to be a stranger in a strange land.  

Living overseas ended up being the greatest of blessings! We savored the experience.  We traveled to over 20 countries while we were there.  We met incredible people in the two years we lived in Germany.  We then moved to Italy and made more marvelous friends.  

Our European experience taught us many things.  It certainly opened our minds to other cultures.  We learned that there is much more to life than working and accumulating stuff.  We were able to be around people who really understand how to celebrate life.  

I encourage you to aggressively travel.  Make it a priority to see the world (and take me with you!).  It will open your mind and your heart.  As Mark Twain once stated, “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.”

No comments:

Post a Comment