Sunday, May 30, 2010

What do your really want for your children?

I ran across a couple of very insightful passages on parenting recently in a couple of  books that I am in the middle of (character flaw:  I'm very good a starting many books, but struggle to get to the finish.  I'll put them down and sometimes don't pick them back up for years . . . note to self:  read discipline remarks below):
  • In Wayne Dyer's "What Do You Really Want for Your Children?" he states that when asked this profound question, parents almost never talk about wealth or fame or problem-free lives.  Instead their comments include:  
    •  I want my children to be happy, and free from hang-ups in life. 
    • I want them to know how to enjoy life and appreciate every day as a miracle.
    • I want them to feel successful and significant as people regardless of what they do.
    • I want them to have positive feelings about themselves and about life.
    • I want them to grow up knowing how to avoid having the inevitable problems defeat them in any way.
    • I want them to avoid being depressed and miserable.
    • I want them to avoid growing up to be neurotic.
    • I want them to have a strong sense of inner peace that will sustain them through difficult times.
    • I want them to value the now: to take pleasure in life's journey, avoiding overemphasis on a destination.
    • I want them to know that they are the designers of their lives, that they have the power to choose and change their lives.
    • I want them to be sensitive and responsible to, and have a reverence for, nature and humanity.
    • I want them to find and explore their potential and feel satisfied and challenged with a purpose in life.
    • I want them to feel loved and loving.
    • I want them to find the opportunities that are hidden in life's inevitable painful experiences.
    • I want them to be on friendly terms with health-physically and mentally.
  • Dyer goes on to say that the chief aim of parenting is to teach children to be their own parents.  He states that parents need to "Guide, then step aside"
  • M.  Scott Peck makes several parenting references in his book "The Road Less Traveled".  He states that our greatest responsibility as parents is to teach our children discipline.  Discipline prevents neurosis and is comprised of 4 fundamentals: 
    • Delaying gratification: Sacrificing present comfort for future gains.
    • Acceptance of responsibility: Accepting responsibility for one's own decisions.
    • Dedication to truth: Honesty, both in word and deed.
    • Balancing: Handling conflicting requirements.

No comments:

Post a Comment